News Index

Stadium-Arcadium.com Forum Index > I May Again Know John

Ian MacKaye talks about John Frusciante in NEW interview

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
nom_nom
Freaky Styler
Freaky Styler

Ian MacKaye talks about John Frusciante in NEW interview

Ian MacKaye is a renowned musician and guitarist, known for being the singer of pioneer hardcore band Minor Threat, the inadvertent founder of the Straight Edge movement, and one of the guitarists and singers of renowned alternative rock band Fugazi. He now plays baritone guitar in his most recent band, the Evens. Dan Bogosian caught up with him while in the middle of a busy work day to discuss everything from his guitar playing, John Frusciante, and the future of Dischord Records...

(I skipped to the bit about John...)

Yeah, I follow you. Are there any bands or guitarists today you appreciate?

Yeah! There are some really interesting bands. There’s a band from Australia, they’re not that new, called the Eddy Current Suppression Ring, and I think that guy’s a brilliant guitar player and its great music. And I just saw that Tune-Yards band and the bass player in that band, that guy is serious, very good. I have a great appreciation for good players, like I think John Frusciante is incredible, the way he plays.

The only way people rebelled was by self-destructing, which I wasn’t interested in. And punk rock was this incredibly creative, wild, open spot and that’s really where I wanted to be.

Do you know what he’s doing now that he’s out of the Chili Peppers at all?

Yeah, he’s working away on new ideas. He’s got all kinds of stuff. He has these really specific ideas about music and he’s following those ideas, and it’s fucking incredible. He’s playing guitar, but he’s using a lot of computer stuff, and it’s very interesting. He’s a friend of mine, so it’s hard for me to know what other people think of him in terms of his music. I think he’s a genius and his ideas are really intense. What he’s doing is very hard to describe.

And the thing about it is, to John, it doesn’t make a difference whether or not anybody ever hears it. And that’s just the way it is. He’s making it for himself, and that’s the mark of somebody who’s…

That’s the mark of a true artist or a true musician

Yeah, like all artists are translators. Visual artists see something, and are trying to translate it so other people see it. And musicians hear something, and they’re trying to translate it. They’re trying to find what they can hear and they’re trying to recreate it. I think there are different levels of that. But I think Frusciante’s taking it to a really pure level. Because he’s trying to pursue something that only he knows what it is.

It’s intense when you phrase it like that. There’s all this debate within Frusciante’s fans – all the people you say you don’t know they feel because you know him as a person – there’s a whole debate whether the fans are ever going to hear whether John’s doing right now, and should they even care since it’s all about creating that sound at this point.

I think he is pursuing something that has not yet been made, so therefore cannot be described. So that’s just the way it is. And you know, almost once a year I’ll see him and hear what he’s working and be like “Wow, this is really out there.” But I bring him up, because there are musicians that I have known, and occasionally I’ve had a chance to play music with them, and when you play with somebody who’s on a certain level, that their relationship with their instrument is so intense, that when you play with them when they’re on their instrument it elevates your playing. And I can definitely say that’s the case, just messing around and kicking it and fooling around with John. Just a couple of acoustic guitars or something, you realize he’s really at one. He knows his shit.

Source: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/ian_mackaye_it_took_me_some_time_to_figure_out_how_punk_was_music.html Smile

"If Baron von Münchhausen, had ejaculated the four of us being the Red Hot Chili Peppers, onto a chess board, I would have to say that Rick Rubin would be the perfect chess player." Anthony Kiedis

RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK

RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK

Post Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 am 
lira
Funky Monk
Funky Monk

Pinky The Elephant
thanks nomi for sharing Smile

"Because he’s trying to pursue something that only he knows what it is "
LOL haha.. that's what i think. he's so much into his own world (especially when when it's about music) that nobody can imagine what he thinks/feels/..
and i like it Happy

Post Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am 
tastytorge
Rolling Sly Stone
Rolling Sly Stone

cool interview, thanks for sharing!

Post Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
manu1603

' I think he is pursuing something that has not yet been made, so therefore cannot be described. So that’s just the way it is'

That quote really touch me!
This makes me feel so excited about the LP!

Post Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 am 
LiveAtSlaneCastle
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by tastytorge:
cool interview, thanks for sharing!

Post Wed May 30, 2012 11:55 am 
raindrop
Freaky Styler
Freaky Styler

quote:
Originally posted by nom_nom:

He knows his shit.

Baseball

Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:41 pm 
rhcplz
Funky Monk
Funky Monk

John's one of the most special musicians out there and you'd be crazy to think otherwise.

Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 pm 
xstorynevertoldx
Rolling Sly Stone
Rolling Sly Stone

oOoOoOo new insight into John, thank you very much for this!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm 
Capella
Funky Monk
Funky Monk

Thanks, that was nice to read.

There's gon' be some stuff you gon' see that's gon' make it hard
to smile in the future. But through whatever you see, through all
the rain and the pain, you gotta keep your sense of humor.
You gotta be able to smile through all this bullshit. Remember that.

Post Wed May 30, 2012 1:40 pm 
alehi
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

1. i didn't know ian now plays baritone guitar. that's pretty cool.

2. ian hit the nail on its fucking head.

Post Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 pm 
Jason1978
First Born Unicorn
First Born Unicorn

The entire world owes it to themselves to see Fugazi at least once if they ever end their hiatus and hopefully they do. I have seen them many times and met Ian. Amazing band and person.

"Don’t touch me with your poohands!" - Josh Klinghoffer

"Well, the poo-stuff is one big source of inspiration." - Anthony Kiedis

"Life’s about your friendships, the way you love your partner, the way you care for your children. That is what life is about. Not anything about earning a hundred zillion dollars because you toured America more than anyone else. I want life to be about creativity."- Joe Strummer: 1952-2002

Post Wed May 30, 2012 3:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hello1815
Freaky Styler
Freaky Styler

^I really hope they decide to make music and play shows again, such a one of a kind band. So great you got to see 'em.

Loved this article..that would be incredible if he produced more/made music with John. I'm excited about the possibility of new stuff from The Evens. I also love that he likes Screaming Females Happy

Post Wed May 30, 2012 4:13 pm 
ami_rhcp

Re: Ian MacKaye talks about John Frusciante in NEW interview

quote:
Originally posted by nom_nom:
I think he is pursuing something that has not yet been made, so therefore cannot be described. So that’s just the way it is.

Whistle

Let's not forget who I am: I AM JOSH KLINGHOFFER OF THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS!!! *walks away smoothly*

Post Wed May 30, 2012 4:45 pm 
xstorynevertoldx
Rolling Sly Stone
Rolling Sly Stone

quote:
Originally posted by Jason1978:
The entire world owes it to themselves to see Fugazi at least once if they ever end their hiatus and hopefully they do. I have seen them many times and met Ian. Amazing band and person.

Jump to Youtube Download VideophpBB Plugin

Headbang

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Wed May 30, 2012 5:32 pm 
EmilieRHCP
Rolling Sly Stone
Rolling Sly Stone

Cool interview. It made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

Post Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm 
bessy

quote:
but he’s using a lot of computer stuff

and people were saying he didn't have one LMAO PMSL

Post Wed May 30, 2012 5:44 pm 
LoveJFrusciante
First Born Unicorn
First Born Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by bessy:

quote:
but he’s using a lot of computer stuff

and people were saying he didn't have one LMAO PMSL

I wonder if it's a mac LOL

Also, Ian is a very cool guy.... he "got me" into sXe for which I am really glad Whistle

“When I got back from Michigan, the band played a big show at the Long Beach Arena, which was filmed for a documentary. In the middle of the backstage interview, the interviewer started asking me about Ione, and I told him we’d had a rough breakup. Just then, John peeked into the camera frame and said, ‘That’s right, ladies and gentlemen. Anthony’s a free man, and you know what that means: It’s time to fuck.’ It was John’s way of bringing me out of my doldrums, and it was a tactic that we’d both use on the rest of the Mother’s Milk tour.”
— Anthony Kiedis

Post Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 am 
nom_nom
Freaky Styler
Freaky Styler

You're all very welcome Smile

"If Baron von Münchhausen, had ejaculated the four of us being the Red Hot Chili Peppers, onto a chess board, I would have to say that Rick Rubin would be the perfect chess player." Anthony Kiedis

Post Thu May 31, 2012 4:19 am 

Jump to:

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: